Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Kickin' it old school with my thirty five

I still have the original receipt from Cameraland dated 12/1/98.  It was my first real camera that was a surprise gift from my boyfriend, now husband.  It was a Nikon FM10 35mm manual focus film camera.  Yes, the actual kind that you put the roll of film in.  It has been a while since I shot with a completely manual camera.   I decided to go buy some film and kick it old school.  It truly was funny for me to go to the store and purchase a roll of film.  As I was awkwardly trying to remember how to load in the cumbersome film, the feeling of I better make these count because I only have 24 exposures, popped into my head.   It was in a very desperate, disturbing sort of way.     When you use a digital camera the number of images are seemingly endless.  Normally with my current digital SLR camera I can shoot 24 pictures in a matter of seconds.  Side note:  I remember when there were no cell phones, you had to actually look up information from a book, cars with A-Track players, Atari, my first Walkman weighing 10lbs and the size of a brick and really,who can forget Star Search?   So when did I become so sophisticated?  The whole idea was very amusing for me.   It was very nice to slow down and get a little nostalgic at the same time.  Unfortunately my subjects for the day don't really slow down, EVER.   This recipe made for a step outside my comfort zone but well worth it.  I think leaving our comfort zone is the only way we force ourselves to become better and push ourselves from staying in the same spot.  I have to admit I kept looking for the review button on my camera and chuckled every time I did it, which I won't say how many times I actually did.  I am so used to reviewing my shots on my SLR to see what I have and to make sure I have something worthwhile before I move onto the next.  In this case with the 35mm you have to wait until you develop it.  What?   In this whole process I also realized how impatient and instantaneous I can be (just ask the guy who brought me the camera). Overall it was a really fun experience.   Below are some of the shots I came away with.  I also came away with a better understanding that moving backwards doesn't always mean taking something away.  It can mean revisiting the archives in our lives and reminding us that everything along the way is defining of the present day.     In my book it is always a good thing to eat a slice of humble pie every once in a while. 


   




I love the ethereal colors that real film produces.

 The grain of real film can be duplicated on digital but it there is something special about the real deal.






                            I love this old school "80's"look.  This one reminds me of my childhood pictures.
 Although I  didn't get what I expected with this one it still can be a very interesting photo, I kind of like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment